So after applying for a job, you got the chance to position yourself as a strong candidate for the role. Writing a thank you email or letter after an interview allows candidates to continue to make a good impression and interest on the potential employer. Writing a strong and effective thank you email will make an impact on the hiring team. If you don’t know what to include in a post-interview thank-you letter, then you are on the right page. In this article, we are going to tell you step by step how to write a thank-you email/letter after a job interview and make a good impact on the hiring team.
How to Write a Thank-You Email/Letter After a Job Interview
People use different formats and styles for writing a thank-you email or letter. Below we describe the standard elements to use and make your thank-you note as effective as possible.
Step #1: Subject Line
As always every letter or email has a subject line in the beginning and writing a subject line helps you easily convey your message. Write a short and straightforward subject line for your thank-you email. For example:
- Thank you for your time and advice
- [Thank You “Interviewer’s name”]
- Thank you for your interview yesterday
These are a formal subject lines you can include.
Step #2: Personal Greeting
In the second step always start a thank-you email with a salutation rather than starting to type your message. as an illustration:
- Hello Sir/Madam
- Hello [Interviewer\s name]
- Dear [Interviewer\s name]
It’s good to use the name of the interviewer you met, which can be a first name or a title. If you were interviewed by many persons, try to send personalized thank-you notes to each of them separately.
Step #3: Appreciation Note
You are writing a thank-you note, of course, you have to start the body of the message, with an expression of gratitude. Thank the interviewer for taking the time to meet you and show them that you care about the interview time they spend with you. Write the details of your position, because some hiring managers may be considering applicants for multiple positions. For instance, you can state as follow:
- Thank you for taking the time to discuss the IT manager position with me yesterday.
- Thank you so much for taking the time to meet me and talk about the marketing manager today. It’s pleasure to study and learn more about your business environment.
Step #4: Recap Your Qualifications And Show Your Interest For the Job
This is good to provide a brief and short recap of your background and experience. Your interviewer must be aware of your qualifications after reading your resume/CV and meeting with you, hence, this section should be short. Connecting your qualification and experience to the position shows that you are a strong candidate for the job. Moreover, the interviewer wants to make sure that you are a strong candidate and the right person for the position. So, try to show them you are genuinely eager to join. For example:
- My social media and experience in SEO would make me an excellent and strong candidate for this marketing role.
- In my current/previous role as search engine marketing expertise, I found [write a short explanation of how you accepted a similar poblems]
Step #5: Persuade to Take the Next Step
At the end of the thank-you note, persuade and encourage the hiring manager to take the next step to hire you by identifying what you learned during the interview and also mention that you can provide references if needed or complete a second interview to get the job. For example:
- Please don’t hesitate to contact me anytime for a follow-up interview
- If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact me.
- Should you require and additional information that could help you with the decision-making process, feel free to each me, I look forward to our call coming week as discussed.
Step #6 Conclude With a Contact Information
Your interviewer should have your contact information from your CV but listing them in your email can make it easier for the hiring manager to contact you for additional steps. Hence, it’s good to include your email address and phone number below your closing and thank them again. For Instance:
Thank you once again!
Samples of Thank-You Letter After Interview in English
We have written many thank-you letter examples below to help you learn how to write an effective and persuasive thank-you letter or email. We have put them all in the JPG form you can download and use your preferred one and write your own thank-you letter.
- Short Thank-You Letter
- Detailed Thank-You Letter
- Formal Thank-You Letter
- Informal Thank-You Letter
- Thank-You Email After Interview
Short Thank-You Letter Sample in English
Detailed Thank-You Letter Sample in English
Formal Thank-You Letter Sample in English
Informal Thank-You Letter Sample in English
Thank-You Email After Interview Sample in English
If you have any additional questions on how to write a Thank-You Email/Letter after a job interview, you can use the comment section and drop me a line and I will reply to all your questions and queries.
- What is the Best Answer to Tell Me About Yourself – Interview Question & Best Answers
- All Important Documents Checklist You Need Before Applying for a Scholarship
- How to Write Personal Statement for Grad School